Heritage

Heritage

St Paul’s Canterbury contains several features with a Heritage National Trust Register File Number B7326.  The present brick building was designed by A.E. H. Carleton and erected in 1914, replacing a small wooden structure that was sold to St. Peter’s, Murrumbeena. In 1931 the same architects prepared plans for the addition of choir and chancel, making provision for the Rose window, ‘Christ the King of All Nations,’ the first figurative window to be installed in the church. The second window, The Life of St. Paul, was installed in the west wall of the north transept in 1952.

Stained Glass Windows

“Stained glass was a craft rarely practised by women in Melbourne during the early twentieth century. Christian Waller was the first woman in Australia, and one of few in the world at that time, to take up the craft as a profession. That she did so with such marked success is a lasting tribute to her skill and originality. From 1929 to the early 1950’s, Christian Waller produced an enormous body of work – over sixty-five individual stained glass panels – which in terms of quantity, artistry and quality, places her as one of the leading Australian stained glass makers of the twentieth century.” – Caroline Miley “Towards The Light” – “The Art of Christian Waller”, Bendigo Art Gallery, 1992.

“ChristChristian Waller Rose Stained Glass Window 1932 the King of All Nations” Stained Glass Rose Window created by Christian Waller in 1932.

Christian Waller’s two windows at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Canterbury are significant for aesthetic reasons, exemplifying excellence in stained glass art and craftsmanship. The two windows show an imaginative use of subject and text that is unique among Australian stained glass artists and are appropriately integrated within the architectural and religious setting.

Christian Waller The Life of St Paul 1952“The Life of St Paul” Stained Glass Window created by Christian Waller in 1952.

The windows are also historically important as they are among the best Modernist stained glass windows installed in a religious setting. The East Rose window, Christ, the King of All Nations, completed in 1932, was among her earliest works in this medium, and The Life of St. Paul is believed to be her last commission, exemplifying her consistent Modernist style over a twenty year period.

As gifts by, and memorials to, the Redman family, the windows have historical and social significance to the Church and its congregation. As a churchwarden and vestryman, George Redman was involved in the erection and prominence of the Church, and was also respected as a local businessman in Canterbury and the surrounding district. Mrs. Redman, was a staunch member of St. Paul’s, working and worshiping at the church for sixty years.

J R Ferguson and N Papas Stained Glass Window 1969

The Smith/Ballantyne Stained Glass Windows created by J R Ferguson and N Papas in 1969.

The Smith and Ballantyne families were foundation members of the church. In 1967 the estate of Flora Forsythe Smith bequeathed two legacies for the erection of memorial windows:

1. In memory of her late husband Henry Windle Cleverdon Smith and his family; and,

2. In memory of her late father and mother Hugh John and Jane Louise Ballantyne and their family.

The design submitted by J R Ferguson & N Papas of Stained Glass and Leadlights, East Malvern was approved by the vestry. In a letter handwritten by J R Ferguson, the Nave windows are described as “more contemporary in style than I had intended”, and “the meaning is as follows – The long lines descending from the top of the left frame panel represent the veil of the tabernacle which is drawn aside to reveal the figure of Christ. From him grow the fishers of men whose nets reach down past the open tomb and into the roots of the modern city, whilst over the latter hovers the Shepherd’s crook and the sacrifice of Calvary. In the trefoil you will find the Passover lamb, Oeku Mene (Gk. ecumenical) or ship and peace dove”.

These windows with hoppers and wire guards cost $900. Bishop Sambell dedicated the windows at the 11am service on 25 May, 1969.

Eagle Church Lecturn StandEagle Church Lectern Stand 1919

To the Glory of God and in Commemoration of the Declaration of Peace, presented by the Girls Friendly Society on 23 June 1919.

 

 

 

 

 

William Montgomery Reredos 1916William Montgomery Reredos 1916

The reredos and series of five painted panels executed by William Montgomery
(1850-1927): Supper at Emmaus and Ss. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The reredos was installed after the completion of the new St Paul’s brick church in 1915 but it was the addition of five painted panels by January 1916 that were to add significantly to its acceptance by the congregation and its importance as an adjunct to worship. The reredos and series of five painted panels are significant for aesthetic and historic reasons at a State level as the only intact surviving example of this aspect of the oeuvre of Melbourne stained glass artist, William Montgomery. The panels exemplify his artistic ability and are an appropriate adjunct to the church architecture and worship.  The reredos and series of panels are historically important as changes in liturgy since the 1960s have seen the removal of many such edifices from Anglican churches, and of the few that survive, most are marble or stone. It remains one of few examples of a simple timber reredos in a parish church.

Sargeant Godfrey Arthur BennettSargeant Godfrey Arthur Bennett Memorial 1915

Memorial for Sergeant Godfrey Arthur Bennett killed in action at Gallipoli in 1915.

Sergeant Godfrey Bennett was killed on 25th April 1915 at Gallipoli at the age of twenty. He enlisted on 17th August two days before his older brother, Henry George Bennett CB CMG DSO, who went on to become Brigadier General Bennett, who was in command at Singapore when it fell in 1942.

Godfrey Bennett joined the 6th Battalion in which his brother was second in command. Together they sailed on the HMAT Hororata for Egypt and both saw service at Gallipoli, Godfrey tragically being killed in action on the first day of the campaign. Another brother, William Stanley DSO, MC of the 10th Battalion also saw service.

Godfrey Bennett was the youngest son of George J Bennett who was the martinet head teacher of Balwyn State School with a passion for cadet corps training. The family lived at a house called Ashburton, 8 Cross Street, Canterbury. The sons were educated at Balwyn State School and later at Hawthorn Grammar. George Bennett’s name appears on the committee which planned and built the new church building in 1913-1914.

Sources:
Allan, J. A History of Camberwell. Unpublished manuscript held in the Ashburton Library
Australian War Memorial Biographicals

Canterbury Cathedral Corona StoneCanterbury Cathedral Corona Stone 13th Century

A piece of stone from the corona of the East-End section of Canterbury Cathedral that was completed early in the 13th century.

 

Visit Us On LinkedinVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On Youtube